Men’s basketball fails to perform under pressure

POINTS IN THE PAINT— Babacar Thiombane rises for a layup during an ELAC loss at home in the South Gym  on Saturday. CN/Diego Linares

By Jose Cabrera

Missed opportunities for Huskies ended their chances of advancing to the next round and lost the game 63-60.

The second round of the California Community College Athletic Association playoff took place on Saturday between Santa Monica College and East Los Angeles College.

Santa Monica College began the game by grabbing an early five point  lead within the first minute.

That was the wake up call for the Huskies to get things moving.

The Huskies responded by tightening up their defense and scored fourteen points.

The Huskies went into the half leading 32-28.

“We’ve got battle hard and provide a strong defense,” said Husky forward Malik Muhammad.

Santa Monica College went on a scoring streak during the second half that brought them back into the game.

Santa Monica College would outshoot the Huskies in three pointers by converting 36 percent of them.   Santa Monica College would even outbound the Huskies 40 to 31.

As the minutes were winding down, they got the engine rolling and went on a 20-9 run to begin the second half giving them a 48-41 lead with ten minutes left.

The Huskies were quick to call a timeout to get things in order.

The Huskies went on a 20-8 run giving them 60-58 lead with a little over a minute left in the half.

Santa Monica College’s Mekhi Kimble quickly put an end to the Huskies momentum by shooting a three point shot that gave Santa Monica College a 61-60 lead with a minute left to play in the half.

A crucial moment was presented for the Huskies because their playoff hopes were on the line.

Time was winding down and the Huskies defense was able to get Santa Monica College  to turn over the ball giving the Huskies a chance to tie the game.

Husky guard Deshaun Highler missed the game tying three pointer, forcing the Huskies to foul.

Santa Monica was able to make their free throw shots and it gave them a 63-60 lead with 6.8 seconds left in the game.

The Huskies had the opportunity to score, but struggled to bring the ball in bounds.

The Huskies  called a timeout which saved them from a turnover.

The Huskies made one last inbound pass and shot a three point shot to tie, but couldn’t capitalize.

SMC  grabbed the rebound ending the playoff run for the Huskies with the final score of 63-60.

“We had a great season and we fell short.  Now we look forward to next season,” said coach John Mosley.

Huskies finished the season with 25-4 record and making it into the second of the playoffs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *