LGBTQ students to gain scholarships

By Cher Antido

The Point Foundation opens scholarship opportunities for LGBTQ students attending community college to receive up to $3,700 for tuition and a chance to be a part of their network of LGBTQ scholars.

Applications are open for submission until Wednesday  at 11:59 p.m.

Point is the largest scholarship organization for LGBTQ students in the United States.

Not only do they grant scholarships, but they also give students a chance to be a mentor to the organization’s scholars.

Point Scholar Anthony Pacheco became a recipient in 2018. “As a Point Scholar, it is more than just going to school everyday and earning the grade.

Throughout your four years, you strive to make an impact in the world in a way that defines who you are,” he said.

Pacheco attends California State University of Los Angeles and finds ways to help spread LGBTQ awareness.

“We are both a scholar in our academics and within the LGBTQ community,” he said.

The organization offers more than just money for school; they help connect the LGBTQ community and encourage them to make an impact in society.

It’s not just about the money, but to meet other like-minded people.

“When I joined Point Foundation, I truly felt like I wasn’t alone,” Pacheco said. 

To be eligible for the scholarship, students must be enrolled and in their last year of community college by fall of this year.

Students must also intend to transfer to a four-year university by fall of 2020, and be “out” as a person of the LGBTQ community. 

“Out” means that students openly identify themselves as either lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer.

Point will publish the winning students’ names and photos through their website and may be distributed to schools.

Students must be comfortable with this to be able to apply. 

Point evaluates their applicants based on their financial need, school grades and community involvement.

Even when a student hasn’t been accepted to a four-year university, they can still be eligible.

Point Scholar Kylie Aquino Waddy answered through the website, “You must be intending to enroll in an accredited undergraduate or graduate program.”

Application is available at

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *