Students engage with Chancellor on Vision 2030

By Leonardo Cervantes

Sonya Christian led a student media teleconference detailing Vision 2030, a roadmap for California Community Colleges. 

Christian is the first female Chancellor of the California community college system. Christian officially started in June and has been working with the Chancellor’s office team in trying to craft a plan for the 116 community colleges. 

There are 6.8 million community members who have a high school diploma but no college credential. These individuals are working low-income jobs. Vision 2030 aims to drastically lower this number. 

“Well, we are going to come and bring college to you, so that there are no barriers between where a Californian is and their community college,” Christian said. 

The tagline for Vision 2030 is taking care of our students, communities and planet.

One of the goals Vision 2030 has set is to increase the completion of a degree or certificate at a community college with equity. 

The plan is to increase the percentage of students earning degrees, certificates and specific skill sets for in-demand jobs by 20% by 2026. The plan also focuses on establishing or expanding programs that address workforce needs in healthcare, climate response, education and early education.

Vision 2030 intends to increase in baccalaureate attainment with equity, increase transfer preparation and increase Community College baccalaureate. 

“To complete the baccalaureate One is the transfer pathway. Yes, we’re going to double down on it. We’re going to remove barriers and get those students to flow into our CSUs UCs. And another option is the community college baccalaureate,” Christian said. 

Vision 2030 talks about being much more proactive in drawing down Federal financial aid for students. 

“We know that we’ve got to do a much better job getting the FAFSA completion out to our students. We have to make sure that those students eligible for Federal financial aid, that they have access to Federal financial aid,” Christian said.

Another outcome of Vision 2030 is the key component of the workforce and how important it is to earn a living wage. 

“So healthcare, climate, stem and technology, education and early education are 4 of the priority sectors that have been identified by the Governor and the legislature, and we are focused on moving it and moving the workforce agenda,” Christian said.

Other key goals and outcomes include an increase in equity, participation/enrollments for dual enrollment, veterans, working adults and low-income students. 

Vision 2030 intends to increase the number of Pell Grant recipients, California College Promise Grant recipients, and reduce units to Associate degrees for transfer.

“The dual enrollment data showed that although the legislation was passed way back in 2015, eight years later, the percentage of seniors in high school participating in dual enrollment was 14% and the ninth graders participating in dual enrollment was 6%,” Christian said. 

Black and Latino students were not participating at the same rate they had in high school.

Since 2017 there has been a 48.8% growth in Associates Degree for Transfer completion. 

“We are partnering with various constituent groups to really double down on getting students to complete the FAFSA to get those pell grants deployed to students. So we believe that this effort is going to result in an increase of real dollars to our colleges,” Christian said. 

Vision 2030 is all about equity and success, equity in access and equity in support.